A New Look For Rectory School
From the School's roots of creating an educational foundation to prepare one boy for secondary school, Rectory School has evolved since its founding nearly 100 years ago. Today, Rectory is a coed day and boarding school that educates children from early childhood through grade 9.
In an effort to achieve strategic goals, last spring, Rectory School engaged the services of Hans Mundahl and Associates to assist the School in our branding and marketing efforts. Hans and his colleague, Lisa Leidy from Square Spot Design helped us with market and competitive research, sent out an alumni survey, and conducted focus groups with alumni, parents, students, employees, and community members to get a sense of what “Rectory School” meant to them. These conversations included questions about Rectory's visual identity.
Informed by these conversations, we embarked on our visual identity journey. Determining that the schoolboy logo no longer accurately represented today's Rectory School, we engaged Square Spot Design to help us create a new logo. Two key components were maintaining Rectory's history and ensuring that our name was visible and identifiable, even from a distance. After working together for five months, the new Rectory School logo was presented to, and approved by, Rectory's board of trustees at the spring board meetings.
- Since its opening on September 20, 1938 the bell tower on the Father Bigelow Memorial Dormitory has been an icon of the Rectory School.
- The cupola is a focal feature of many Rectory structures: Memorial Dorm, Hamilton Dorm, the new apartment between Memorial and Dining, the admissions office, the pavilion, and now John and Millie Green Hall, which houses the Hale Elementary School Wing and the Smith Learning Center.
- The weathervane represents the direction that Rectory provides for our students.
- The bell represents our community gathering as a family, for every time the Memorial Bell tolls, we come together.